Skip to main content

Ambitious Azarenka downplays the pressure of being No. 1

updated 11:04 AM EST, Fri February 17, 2012
Victoria Azarenka moved into the Qatar Open quarterfinals after a comfortable win over Simona Halep.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Belarusian Victoria Azarenka says her world No. 1 ranking is just a number
  • The 22-year-old breezed into the quarterfinals of the Qatar Open Thursday
  • Azarenka hit No. 1 after winning maiden major title at the Australian Open
  • She will now face Belgium's Yanina Wickmayer in Qatar last eight

(CNN) -- Victoria Azarenka's peerless run of form in 2012 has seen her secure a maiden grand slam title and cement her place as the finest women's tennis player on the planet.

But after the Belarusian took her record this year to 14 straight wins on Thursday to reach the quarterfinals of the Qatar Open, she downplayed the pressure she faces to continue that success at the top of the rankings.

"It's really just a number," the 22-year-old told reporters.

"It's a great feeling to have, but I have so many more goals, and I just want to keep working hard and keep improving. I feel there shouldn't be a limit to how much you can push yourself."

15-love: Top tennis romances

Azarenka's latest victory was a comfortable 6-3 6-1 success over Romanian Simona Halep, just 24 hours after she had disposed of Mona Barthel.

She has barely had time to toast her maiden major victory after beating Russia's Maria Sharapova in last month's Australian Open final -- but she did manage to head to Los Angeles for a few days immersed in the world of Hollywood glamor.

It's a great feeling to have (being No. 1) but I have so many more goals
Victoria Azarenka

"I didn't really get too much time to enjoy the moment. I had to leave (Australia) the next day, and the next day I already had to do a lot of things," Azarenka said.

"It was really fun for me to go and watch the men's final, but it was so hot I couldn't sit any longer!

"I went to LA for a few days. I went to see the Lakers play -- Kobe Bryant is one of my favorite basketball players. That was really, really fun. I also attended the Ellen Show. She's one of my favorite TV anchors. That was really fun too."

Monfils pulls out as Roddick battles through in San Jose

Azarenka is relishing her return to action after being forced to sit out Belarus' Fed Cup tie against the U.S. -- and a potential meeting with the Williams sisters -- earlier this month due to a back problem.

"If I was looking for more holidays, trust me, I wouldn't be here," she said.

"I was excited to go out there and finally play again, because it has been a little while -- it seems like it was just yesterday, but it has been over two weeks. I was really looking forward to playing again and I'm excited about my next one."

Azarenka will face Yanina Wickmayer in the last eight after the Belgian beat Ksenia Pervak of Russia 6-4 6-0.

Elsewhere, Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska defeated Varvara Lepchenko of Uzbekistan 7-5 6-1 to set up a quarterfinal clash with American Christina McHale, who beat Israel's Shahar Peer 4-6 6-3 6-4.

Part of complete coverage on
updated 8:52 AM EDT, Thu August 21, 2014
As a player he was as fiery as his hair -- and as Novak Djokovic's coach, Boris Becker says he has to battle to keep his emotions in check.
updated 7:02 AM EDT, Wed August 20, 2014
Tennis great Boris Becker says he was stunned by the level of criticism he received after being appointed as Novak Djokovic's coach.
updated 7:01 AM EDT, Fri July 25, 2014
"I didn't cry once when I practiced in front of the mirror," says Martin Emmrich. But the nerves kicked in when he got down on one knee on court.
updated 7:35 AM EDT, Mon June 30, 2014
When Agnieszka Radwanska refused to look her opponent in the eye after losing at Wimbledon, it raised more than eyebrows.
updated 9:14 PM EDT, Sun June 22, 2014
It's 10 years since a teenage Maria Sharapova became the darling of Wimbledon's hallowed Center Court, launching herself as a star.
Rafael Nadal is still the "King of Clay" -- but his crown has slipped a bit, says CNN's Will Edmonds.
updated 3:46 AM EDT, Fri May 23, 2014
He's regularly voted France's favorite famous person, but many of the nation's youth have "no idea" about his glorious sporting past
updated 7:59 PM EDT, Mon May 5, 2014
British tennis player Elena Baltacha won 11 ITF Pro Circuit titles during her 16-year playing career.
The Ukrainian-born, British tennis star loses fight against liver cancer, just a few weeks after revealing that she was battling the disease.
updated 11:55 AM EDT, Tue April 29, 2014
Five-time grand slam champion Martina Hingis has followed her mom into a coaching role, setting up a new tennis academy in Barcelona, Spain.
updated 8:38 AM EDT, Wed April 16, 2014
Suisse's Belinda Bencic returns the ball to France's Alize Cornet during the second match of the Fed Cup first round tennis tie France vs Switzerland on February 8, 2014 at the Pierre de Coubertin stadium in Paris. AFP PHOTO / KENZO TRIBOUILLARD (Photo credit should read KENZO TRIBOUILLARD/AFP/Getty Images)
It's no easy matter becoming a world class tennis player. It's even harder when everyone (really -- everyone) is calling you the "new Martina Hingis."
updated 10:20 AM EDT, Wed April 2, 2014
At the 2009 Australian Open, French men's tennis was the talk of the town.
updated 2:00 PM EDT, Tue April 15, 2014
MONTE-CARLO, MONACO - APRIL 14: Rafael Nadal of Spain sails a boat during day two of the ATP Monte Carlo Rolex Masters Tennis at Monte-Carlo Sporting Club on April 14, 2014 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco. (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)
Rafael Nadal may be most at home on a clay tennis court, but he has always found comfort on the sea.