'Whitey' Bulger trial set for November

Story highlights

  • James "Whitey" Bulger's attorneys had argued they need a year to prepare
  • The attorneys must review 580,000 pages of evidence and 921 wiretap tapes
  • Bulger has pleaded not guilty to all charges, included 19 counts of murder
A judge has set the date of James "Whitey" Bulger's trial on charges including murder for November 5, the U.S. attorney's office for Massachusetts said Monday.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Marianne B. Bowler set the date hours after reviewing a memorandum in which Bulger's defense attorney, J.W. Carney Jr., requested at least a year to analyze the "tsunami's worth" of evidence documents his team has been presented.
In the memorandum, Carney claimed that the 580,000 pages would require approximately 14,500 hours of review. The estimate, Carney said, did not include the review of 921 wiretap tapes, most of which are yet to be transcribed.
"For the prosecution to suggest that this case is ready to be sent to the district judge to set a trial date is so unreasonable that it is frivolous," Carney said in the memorandum, dated Monday.
Bowler has not yet decided whether to grant Bulger's request for additional lawyers to help review evidence, according to Christina Dilorio-Sterling, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office.
Prosecutors say Bulger, who is being held without bail, was the head of a South Boston Irish gang before he fled an impending racketeering indictment in 1995. He had evaded law enforcement for 16 years before he and his girlfriend, Catherine Greig, were arrested in June 2011.
Bulger, 82, had previously pleaded not guilty to all charges against him, including 19 murder charges.
Greig, 60, has pleaded not guilty to charges of harboring and concealing a fugitive.