- Madonna Badger's three daughters died in Connecticut house fire
- Fire occurred on Christmas Day
- Badger's parents also perished
The mother who lost her three daughters and parents on Christmas morning in a house fire in Stamford, Connecticut, attempted suicide, according to a relative who asked not to be identified.
Madonna Badger was hospitalized last week for deliberately injuring herself, the relative confirmed.
"She's not seriously injured," the relative said. "She's in a safe environment with her family in Kentucky."
The grief-stricken mother eulogized her three young girls three weeks ago at a funeral held in Manhattan's St. Thomas Church.
"My girls are in my heart," Badger told a room full of mourners, pointing to her heart. "This is where they live now."
Coping with the tragedy has been "very difficult" for Badger, according to the relative. "She's doing well now, or as well as she can be."
Badger and Michael Borcina, a family friend and the contractor hired to renovate the now razed Victorian home, were the only two survivors of the blaze that killed daughters Lily, 10, and 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah Badger, and their grandparents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson.
Discarded fireplace ashes and embers appeared to ignite the fatal fire, according to Barry Callahan, the chief fire marshal in Stamford.