Los Angeles (CNN) -- Authorities in California have arrested a man who "generally fits the description" of a man suspected of killing several homeless people, Anaheim police said.
The suspect was pursued by witnesses to a fatal stabbing Friday night, Anaheim police Sgt. Bob Dunn said. Dunn said the victim "appears to be homeless," but said the investigation continues.
The suspect's name was not released.
Dunn said the man was taken into custody after fleeing the scene of the homicide, but said no connection has been made to the earlier killings that have taken place in recent weeks.
Authorities have been searching for a serial killer in Southern California after the fatal stabbings of three homeless men over the span of 10 days last month. The three transient men were killed in Anaheim, Brea and Placentia, according to police.
"Each victim was stabbed multiple times," Dunn said of the first three killings. "There are some additional similarities between the victims that we are not going to discuss."
The first victim -- a 53-year-old male -- was stabbed on December 20 in Placentia.
Eight days later, a 42-year-old, was found fatally stabbed on a riverbed trail in Anaheim.
A third victim -- a 57-year-old-- was found on December 30 in Yorba Linda.
Police released a surveillance camera photo of the suspect taken on December 20. It shows the suspect standing a few feet away from the victim, who appears to be lying on the ground next to a strip mall, according to police.
Investigators urged the homeless to stay in groups and avoid sleeping in dark and secluded areas.
Authorities have set up a task force to probe the killings, which includes the FBI and the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
Anyone with information can call 714-765-1944.
CNN's Maria P. White contributed to this report.