Skip to main content

Mourning period in Norway ends with remembrance service

By the CNN Wire Staff
Survivors of the attack visit Utoya Island on Saturday for the first time since the shootings.
Survivors of the attack visit Utoya Island on Saturday for the first time since the shootings.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: "We will keep their memory alive," says Norway's king
  • The ceremony comes a day after survivors of the island shooting return to the site for the first time
  • A judge orders the suspect, Anders Breivik, to be held in isolation for four more weeks
  • The twin attacks kill 77 people, many of them youth
  • The suspect admits the attacks, but pleads not guilty in court

(CNN) -- Norway's official mourning period for victims of a bombing and shooting rampage ended Sunday with a national remembrance ceremony in Oslo.

The Oslo bombing and Utoya island shooting killed a total of 77 people last month.

"In the time behind us, we have followed 77 people to their graves," King Harald V told mourners at Sunday's ceremony in Oslo. "We have gotten to know each of them a little from the stories about them. Seventy-seven lives of people who wanted to change the world are gone. We will keep their memory alive by keeping their fight for a better world alive. I say to you as I said on the day after the tragedy -- freedom is stronger than fear."

The ceremony came a day after survivors returned for the first time to the site of the island shooting, where the gunman killed 69 people. He also bombed the Oslo government buildings on the same day, killing eight more people.

Grieving families visit Utoya Island
Outpouring of grief in Norway
Author Brad Thor on Norway attacks
RELATED TOPICS
  • Oslo
  • Norway
  • Politics

Most of the victims were at a political summer camp held by the youth wing of the governing Labour Party at the time of the July 22 shooting attack.

Most survivors made it out alive by hiding among rocks or diving into the chilly waters around the island.

Before the survivors' visit, relatives of those killed traveled to the island Friday for the first time to see where their loved ones spent their final moments.

Many lit candles and left flowers in makeshift shrines.

The suspect in both attacks, Anders Breivik, was ordered held in isolation for four more weeks Friday after appearing before a judge in Oslo.

If removed from isolation, there's danger that he will tamper with evidence and hinder the police investigation, the judge said.

Breivik, 32, had told the court that being held in isolation is "boring, monotonous and a sadistic method of torture," the judge said.

The suspect admitted the attacks, a judge and his lawyer say, but has pleaded not guilty in court.

CNN's Cynthia Wamwayi contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
Reassessing security after Norway
Colleen McEdwards talks to security expert Anthony Roman about security issues surrounding the Norway terror attack.
Girl texts mother during massacre
A Norwegian mom explains how she helped keep her daughter calm throughout the hour-long gun rampage at Utoya island.
Norway terror suspect's dad speaks out
The father of Norwegian terror suspect Andres Breivik says his son is mentally ill and should have killed himself.
Extremism threats raise concerns
Britain's prime minister calls for urgent review of far-right groups following deadly attacks in Norway.
Inside Norwegian terror spree
CNN's Anderson Cooper reports on the possible motivations of the suspect in the Norwegian terror attacks.
Norwegians overwhelmed with grief
Thousands of grieving Norwegians took part in a march and a minute of silence to honor the victims of the Oslo and Utoya attacks.
PM: 'This will change Norway'
Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg talks to Nic Robertson days after a bombing and shooting rampage in Norway.
Norway 'has lost its innocence'
For Norwegians still in shock from Friday's horrific attacks, there is a sense they have woken up in a country that has "lost its innocence."