Skip to main content

Suspect in Norway attacks to face second interrogation

By the CNN Wire Staff
Click to play
Reassessing security after Norway
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: "He's totally evil," the director of intelligence police says about Anders Breivik
  • Breivik will be questioned by police Friday over last week's attacks
  • The search for bodies on and around the island of Utoya has now ended, police say
  • The suspect is being held in solitary confinement in a prison near Oslo

Oslo, Norway (CNN) -- Police are preparing to interview Anders Behring Breivik, the suspect in last week's terrorist attacks, for a second time Friday, Oslo police chief Johan Fredriksen said Thursday.

Breivik, who is being kept in solitary confinement at Ila Prison, near Oslo, was last interviewed Saturday, a day after a bomb blast outside government buildings in the Norwegian capital and a mass shooting on the island of Utoya claimed at least 76 lives.

The prison held Nazi prisoners during World War II. "We are giving him pillow, sheet and shelter for a few weeks," the prison governor said.

Police attorney Pal-Frederick Hjort Kraby said police had since gained a considerable amount of new information and were ready to question Breivik again at police headquarters. He is likely to face more interrogations in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, the search for more victims of Friday's shooting rampage on Utoya island has ended, Police Chief Johan Fredriksen said Thursday. However, later in the day, the police website said the search in the water around the island was ongoing.

More than 50 investigators remained on the island and will likely remain there for several more weeks, officials said.

Norway bomb search continues
Who are the Norway victims?
Norwegian PM: 'This will change Norway'
RELATED TOPICS
  • Norway
  • Oslo
  • Shootings

A key question is whether Breivik acted alone. "At this moment in time we don't think there are more people involved in this action, and we don't know whether there are more bombs," said Janne Kristiansen, director of the Norwegian intelligence police, in an interview on Wednesday with CNN.

But she downplayed the possibility of further carnage. "We think, more than likely, he has been on his own and nothing is going to happen here," she said. "So people should go on living their lives."

Technicians and explosives experts were still trying to figure out how big the bomb was that rocked a government building in downtown Oslo, killing eight people. Authorities had not yet determined whether the building could be restored or would need to be rebuilt, Kristiansen said.

She said Breivik acted lawfully during his preparations, registering his weapons and using his farm as a front to collect the fertilizer that powered the bomb. His meticulousness extended to his communications with others, even in his Internet messages, which were "very moderate," she said.

"He has been what we call a lone wolf," she added. "With a lone wolf, they always operate alone, having no accomplices anywhere, and this is, obviously, what he has done."

But, she added, "We believe that he might have had contacts in the rest of the world and we're investigating this."

His primary goal: "The focus from the world press, which he now has," Kristiansen said. "He's totally evil, and he's using us, and he's using you -- especially the media -- to bring forward his voice."

Sixty-eight people are confirmed dead in the attack on the island, where a summer camp for the Labour Party's youth movement was taking place. As of Thursday, authorities had released the identities of 41 of the dead.

Police began formally identifying the victims Tuesday and will release names each day until they have all been named.

Police had been seeking to identify a missing Georgian woman whose body was found several days ago, another officer in Nordre Buskerud police district said, and were able to do so because her clothes had now been found in the waters off Utoya.

However, Fredriksen did not confirm whether anyone was still missing and said he did not want to refer to exact figures.

Breivik has admitted carrying out the bombing in Oslo, in which eight people died, and the shootings on Utoya, his lawyer and a judge have said. He has also pleaded not guilty.

He currently has contact only with his lawyer and the prison staff who take him food, Kraby said. The investigation is complex and it will likely be months before Breivik comes to trial, the lawyer added.

Police predicted that most of the court hearings attended by Breivik, including his first appearance before a judge Monday, will be closed to the public. Kraby said this was, in part, because of concerns he might send coded messages to others.

The suspect had spent a lot of time and money preparing for the attacks, the lawyer said, so it was important to be careful.

A government spokesman on the Justice Committee, Jan Bohler, predicted Breivik would receive an unconditional sentence, meaning one that would extend well beyond the theoretical maximum of 21 years set by Norwegian law, thereby ensuring he does not ever get out of prison. Norway does not have the death penalty.

Judge Kim Heger said after a hearing Monday that Breivik had been ordered to remain in custody for eight weeks until his next scheduled court appearance.

In that hearing, Breivik accused the Labour Party of "treason" for promoting multiculturalism, the judge said.

On the streets of the capital, senior members of government were out in the streets Thursday to meet members of the public and answer their questions. Some parliamentarians met with children who survived the shooting on Utoya island.

CNN's Laura Smith-Spark and Nic Robertson contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
Reassessing security after Norway
Colleen McEdwards talks to security expert Anthony Roman about security issues surrounding the Norway terror attack.
Girl texts mother during massacre
A Norwegian mom explains how she helped keep her daughter calm throughout the hour-long gun rampage at Utoya island.
Norway terror suspect's dad speaks out
The father of Norwegian terror suspect Andres Breivik says his son is mentally ill and should have killed himself.
Extremism threats raise concerns
Britain's prime minister calls for urgent review of far-right groups following deadly attacks in Norway.
Inside Norwegian terror spree
CNN's Anderson Cooper reports on the possible motivations of the suspect in the Norwegian terror attacks.
Norwegians overwhelmed with grief
Thousands of grieving Norwegians took part in a march and a minute of silence to honor the victims of the Oslo and Utoya attacks.
PM: 'This will change Norway'
Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg talks to Nic Robertson days after a bombing and shooting rampage in Norway.
Norway 'has lost its innocence'
For Norwegians still in shock from Friday's horrific attacks, there is a sense they have woken up in a country that has "lost its innocence."
 
Quick Job Search