(CNN) -- An upcoming sumo wrestling tournament has been canceled in the wake of a match-fixing scandal that has rocked Japan's national sport, officials said.
The 15-day tournament scheduled for March was canceled after an emergency meeting, the Japan's Kyodo news agency reported.
The decision comes after last week's revelation that three wrestlers had admitted to rigging bouts.
Tokyo Police found suspicious messages on various wrestlers' phones that suggested the outcome of several fights had been planned, Kyodo said.
"This (scandal) left the worst dirty point in the long history of sumo,'' said Hanaregoma, chairman of Japan Sumo Association.
He addressed the scandal Sunday at a televised news conference.
It is the latest sumo controversy after a gambling scandal emerged in July when 34-year-old wrestler Ozeki Kotomitsuki allegedly bet on baseball games.
CNN's Yoko Wakatsuki contributed to this report.