Skip to main content

Kidnapped Canadian boy returned home

From Cristy Lenz, CNN
Click to play
Abducted Canadian boy returned home
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Abducted Canadian boy, 3, is back home safely with family
  • Kienan Hebert said to be in good shape, authorities say
  • Authorities in British Columbia are looking for suspect
RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- A 3-year-old Canadian boy kidnapped four days earlier was returned to his home early Sunday, and police were searching for a suspect, officials said.

Authorities were searching for a suspect they identified in an Amber Alert as Randall Peter Hopley, 46, in the abduction of Kienan Hebert, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The Sparwood, British Columbia, boy appeared to be in good health, authorities said.

"Kienan is happily home," his emotional father, Paul Hebert, told reporters. "He's playing with his brothers and sisters."

The child had been put to bed Tuesday evening and was missing when the family got up, police Cpl. Dan Moskaluk told CNN. An extensive police and community search ensued.

Authorities on Wednesday publicly identified Hopley, who does not know the family but who lives a few miles away in the rural area, Canadian police said.

Kienan's parents issued a plea Saturday about 12 hours before the boy was returned.

"Speaking to whoever has Kienan right now. We are just asking please bring Kienan to a safe place right now," a portion of the statement read. "Like a gas station or a store parking lot where he is visibly seen and you can just drop him off there. Walk away. We just want him safe."

Moskaluk said police got a call about 3 a.m. Sunday telling officers the boy had been returned to the Hebert home, which was vacant at the time because the parents were staying with neighbors. The boy was found at the Heberts' home immediately after the call, Moskaluk said.

"It's truly remarkable," the officer said.

 
Quick Job Search