Skip to main content

Benghazi remains wary

From Arwa Damon, CNN
Click to play
Fighter jets hit Libyan army convoy
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Benghazi remains in rebel hands
  • But residents remain wary despite no-fly zone
  • Doctors report scarcity of medical supplies

Benghazi, Libya (CNN) -- Heartened by allied attacks that turned a Libyan military convoy into a hulking ruin, anti-Gadhafi forces remained wary in their stronghold as night fell Sunday.

Doctors told CNN they were running low on emergency and other medical supplies. When the fighting had begun, they sent supplies to the front lines in areas like Ras Lanouf and Brega. When those cities were recaptured by Moammar Gadhafi, those supplies were lost.

A senior physician said 95 people died in Saturday's assault on the city by Gadhafi troops.

The opposition forces have increased the number of vehicle checkpoints and their searches are more diligent.

Despite the damage to Gadhafi's troops, there is growing concern that pro-government elements within the population will carry out intimidation campaigns and targeted assassinations of opposition leaders.

Enforcing the no-fly zone in Libya
Adm. Mullen on airstrikes in Libya
RELATED TOPICS

Most shops in this city on the eastern coast remain closed.

Multiple allied airstrikes Sunday smashed a convoy of about 70 military vehicles nearly 20 miles (30 kilometers) outside of town.

The gruesome collection of charred bodies, twisted tanks and smashed trucks was on a stretch of highway bordered by flower-filled fields.

Rebels said the convoy was made up of Gadhafi loyalists coming to attack Benghazi.

Anti-Gadhafi residents have said loyalist forces would have massacred them if they had been able to enter the city.

Residents of the city, which was reported to be calm late Sunday, believe they can now take the offensive against loyalist troops.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, told CNN Sunday there would be continuous allied air cover of Benghazi.

Part of complete coverage on
'Sons of Mubarak' in plea for respect
Pro-Mubarak supporters believe Egypt's former president is innocent of charges of corruption and killing protesters.
Timeline of the conflict in Libya
Fighting in Libya started with anti-government demonstrations in February and escalated into a nationwide civil war.
Who are these rebels?
After months of seeming stalemate, Libyan rebels declared they were moving in on Tripoli. But who are they?
Why NATO's Libya mission has shifted
Six months and more than 17,000 air sorties after it began, NATO's Operation Unified Protector in the skies over Libya grinds on.
Interactive map: Arab unrest
Click on countries in CNN's interactive map to see the roots of their unrest and where things stand today.
Send your videos, stories
Are you in the Middle East or North Africa? Send iReport your images. Don't do anything that could put you at risk.
Libya through Gadhafi's keyhole
Behind the official smiles for the cameras some people in Libya's capital are waiting for the rebels, reports CNN's Ivan Watson.
How Arab youth found its voice
Tunisia's Mohamed Bouazizi not only ignited a series of revolts but heralded the first appearance of Arab youth on the stage of modern history.