(CNN) -- Floyd Mayweather is returning to boxing after a year out of the ring, announcing he is to fight Victor Ortiz.
The five-time world champion's last bout was against Shane Mosley in May 2010 as he won a unanimous decision in Las Vegas.
Mayweather, 34, has won all 41 of his professional fights and is a six-time world champion at five different weights.
Ortiz became the current World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion after beating Andre Berto in April and the bout has been set for September 17.
"I am ready to return to the ring and give my fans a fantastic night of boxing by fighting the best out there," Mayweather said in a statement.
"For me, that is Victor Ortiz. He is the current champion and an extremely talented fighter, who showed amazing skills and heart in his last performance.
"At this stage of my career, these are the challenges I look for -- a young, strong, rising star looking to make his mark in boxing by beating me.
"Ortiz is just going to be another casualty, the 42nd one who tried and failed. Trust me. I will be ready."
Mayweather has recorded 25 knockouts in his 41 bouts, while Ortiz has suffered two defeats and two draws in his 33 fights.
The 24-year-old American said: "I respect Mayweather because he has been a champion for many years and I know he will be ready but so will I.
"I'm a world champion for a reason and I am not going to let go of my title any time soon. This is going to be a great fight, but I will remain a world champion for many years to come."
Mayweather's return to the ring will again raise the prospect of a so-called "superbout" with eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao.
Since Mayweather last fought he was arrested at a Las Vegas casino in December last year on a misdemeanor battery charge after he allegedly assaulted a security guard at his housing complex
He has also been embroiled in domestic violence claims from his former girlfriend. He faces criminal charges in court in January.