Skip to main content

Sean Kingston goes home from hospital

By Alan Duke, CNN
  • Sean Kingston was critically hurt in a May 29 personal-watercraft mishap
  • Hip-hop artist will finish his recovery at his Miami home, his publicist says

(CNN) -- Singer Sean Kingston checked out of Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital this week, nearly a month after crashing a personal-watercraft into a bridge, his publicist said Thursday.

Kingston, 21, was critically injured in the accident, but doctors later said he would fully recover after about six weeks, according to two sources close to the hip-hop artist.

He left the hospital Tuesday to complete his recovery at his Miami home, publicist Joe Carozza said.

Kingston suffered a broken jaw, a fractured wrist and water in his lungs, according to the sources, who both asked not to be identified since they were not authorized to speak to the media.

Cassandra Sanchez, 23, was riding on the Sea Doo personal watercraft with Kingston when it crashed into a Miami bridge on May 29, according to an accident report from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Sanchez was also injured and hospitalized.

Kingston had bought the Sea Doo just days before, one of the sources said.

His life vest apparently fell off during the crash, causing him to sink below the water, according to witnesses.

June: Sean Kingston expected to recover

"They were calling us over, telling us, 'He's drowning, he's drowning,' " said Carmen Rivera, who was boating nearby with her husband, Jonathan Rivera, and friend Jimmy Vega. The three rescuers were interviewed by CNN affiliate WSVN-TV.

"We jumped in the water to help him keep his head above water," Vega said.

"I pushed him up, and he was vomiting what seemed like water, and then there was some blood coming out," Jonathan Rivera said.

The Miami-born artist changed his name from Kisean Anderson to Kingston to reflect his Jamaican heritage.

He shot to fame in 2007 when his debut song, "Beautiful Girls," became a No. 1 hit in the United States.

CNN's Denise Quan contributed to this report.