Skip to main content

Arraignment postponed in baseball fan beating case

By the CNN Wire Staff
  • Arraignments of two Rialto men in baseball fan's beating were scheduled for Monday
  • Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, are being held on $500,000 bail
  • The beating victim, Bryan Stow, 42, remains hospitalized in San Francisco

Los Angeles (CNN) -- A Los Angeles Superior Court judge has postponed the arraignments of two men accused in a March 31 beating that left a San Francisco Giants baseball fan severely injured.

Louie Sanchez, 29, and Marvin Norwood, 30, both of Rialto, California, are being held on $500,000 bail. Their arraignment, originally scheduled for Monday, was postponed to August 10.

The two were arrested last week and charged with mayhem and assault -- both felonies -- related to the reportedly unprovoked attack outside Dodger Stadium, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said. Sanchez is also charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery stemming from another incident on the same day.

Bryan Stow, a 42-year-old paramedic from Santa Cruz, California, remains hospitalized in a San Francisco hospital, recovering from extensive brain trauma and other injuries.

Stow was attacked by two men in the parking lot of the Los Angeles Dodgers' home field after the opening game of the Dodgers and Giants seasons. Unprovoked, the men began to kick and punch Stow, yelling profanities about the Giants, before heading off in a car driven by a woman, police said.

Stow was placed in a medically induced coma following the incident. He underwent emergency surgery early last week at San Francisco General Hospital, precipitated by "massive amounts of fluid building up that caused a 30-second seizure," his family said on their website.

By late last week, though, the family said that Stow's condition had improved and he appeared "very alert" -- able to open and close his eyes on command, move his right hand and mouth his last name to medical staff.

He struggles to recover as investigators continued to wrestle with a case that's drawn intense public attention. Beck said that police had interviewed more than 600 people and devoted thousands of hours trying to crack the case.

With the arrests of the two suspects, a man believed to have been the "primary aggressor" in the attack was exonerated. Giovanni Ramirez, 31, a documented gang member associated with the Varrio Nuevo Estrada street gang in East Los Angeles, was arrested in May and jailed on $1 million bail.

But the charge related to Stow's assault was dropped "without prejudice ... due to the lack of the evidence presented on that charge," the corrections department said in a statement last week.

CNN's Michael Cary in Los Angeles contributed to this report.