Skip to main content

Two men indicted in alleged Seattle terror plot

By the CNN Wire Staff
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • A federal jury indicts two men on counts related to an alleged plot in Seattle
  • Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif and Walli Mujahidh are charged with conspiracy to murder
  • Federal agents arrested them after they allegedly took possession of weapons

(CNN) -- A federal jury in Seattle indicted two men Thursday on nine counts related to their alleged plot to attack a military installation.

Abu Khalid Abdul-Latif, 33, and Walli Mujahidh, 32, were charged with conspiracy to murder officers and agents of the United States, and conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, among other charges, according to a Justice Department statement.

Federal agents on June 22 arrested the men after they allegedly "took possession of high-powered assault rifles they planned to use in an attack on the Military Entrance Processing Station" in Seattle.

The weapons had been previously disabled, the statement said.

The two suspects initially planned their attack on Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state, but later decided to assault the recruiting station.

According to a source working with federal agents, Abdul-Latif said the original plan to attack Fort Lewis, as the base also is known, "would be in retaliation for alleged crimes committed by United States soldiers in Afghanistan," a court document said.

The subjects allegedly were interested in carrying out a deadly attack to gain maximum attention, according to the criminal complaint against them.

The plot allegedly involved a conspiracy to use grenades and firearms to kill the victims and then to fight police as they made their escape.

Each man could face life in prison if convicted.