Los Angeles (CNN) -- Lindsay Lohan has one less legal problem to worry about after a prosecutor decided not to charge her in connection with an altercation while she was in a substance abuse rehab program in December.
Lohan, who faces a preliminary hearing on a felony grand theft charge April 22, could also go back to jail on a probation violation charge on the same day.
But the Riverside County, California, district attorney decided Tuesday not to pursue a possible assault charge against the actress for a December 12, 2010, incident with Dawn Holland, a Betty Ford Center staffer, the prosecutor's spokesman said.
"Our office has completed review of the case, and we will not file charges due to insufficient evidence," spokesman John Hall said.
Lohan checked herself into the Betty Ford Center in Rancho Mirage, California, for substance abuse rehab on September 28, 2010, just days after she dodged jail on another probation violation.
A Los Angeles County judge later ordered her to remain in the drug rehab program until January 3 for failing a drug test while on supervised probation for a 2007 drunken-driving charge.
An incident three weeks after she was released from rehab led to her latest legal problems. She allegedly walked out of a Venice, California, jewelry store wearing a necklace that she had not paid for, according to police.
Lohan rejected a plea deal last week, setting the stage for next month's preliminary hearing and a possible trial.
CNN's Sara Weisfeldt contributed to this report.