Skip to main content

Trial date set for second man in deadly Connecticut home invasion

By the CNN Wire Staff
Joshua Komisarjevsky, the second man charged in a brutal 2007 home invasion, faces death-penalty charges in his trial, scheduled to begin September 19.
Joshua Komisarjevsky, the second man charged in a brutal 2007 home invasion, faces death-penalty charges in his trial, scheduled to begin September 19.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The trial for a man charged in a deadly home invasion is set to begin in September
  • A prior trial resulted in a death sentence for another defendant
  • A mother and her two daughters died at their home

(CNN) -- Jury selection will begin in March for the second man charged in a brutal 2007 home invasion in which a Connecticut mother and her two daughters were killed.

After the anticipated months of jury selection, the death-penalty trial of Joshua Komisarjevsky is scheduled to begin September 19, Connecticut Judicial Branch spokeswoman Rhonda Hebert said Friday.

July selection begins March 16.

In December, New Haven Superior Court Judge Jon Blue imposed a death sentence on Steven Hayes, 47, who was convicted of 16 of 17 charges against him.

Jennifer Hawke-Petit, 48, died as a result of the home invasion, along with her daughters, 17-year-old Hayley Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit.

Prosecutors alleged that Hayes and Komisarjevsky, in July 2007, invaded the Petit home in Cheshire, Connecticut, beat and tied up Dr. William Petit, raped and strangled Hawke-Petit, molested one of their daughters and set the house on fire before attempting to flee.

The two daughters, who had been tied to their beds, died of smoke inhalation. Petit escaped to a neighbor's home. Hayes also forced Hawke-Petit to go to a bank and withdraw $15,000 from an account after finding evidence the account held between $20,000 and $30,000, authorities said.

In Session's Aletse Mellado contributed to this report.