Skip to main content

Home of Detroit police shooting suspect catches fire

By the CNN Wire Staff
Click to play
House of shooting suspect burns
  • The suspect is dead, killed Sunday after four Detroit officers were shot
  • His residence is heavily damaged by fire Tuesday
  • Police are investigating whether he was involved in criminal sexual conduct

(CNN) -- The home of a man police said wounded four Detroit officers burned Tuesday amid an investigation into whether he engaged in criminal sexual contact with a minor girl, authorities said.

Lamar Deshea Moore, 38, walked into a police precinct Sunday and "indiscriminately began firing," Chief Ralph Godbee said Monday. Moore was shot and killed by return gunfire from police, according to the chief.

Police are now reporting that the Sorrento Street home where Moore stayed caught fire Tuesday and suffered heavy damage, according to Officer Dan Donakowski.

The cause of the fire, which was called in at 3:14 a.m., is under investigation, Detroit Fire Lt. Gerod Funderburg said. It was not occupied and authorities were not certain of its ownership.

Donakowski and Sgt. Eren Stephens told CNN that police are investigating whether Moore had criminal sexual conduct with a minor. They would not release more details, but Donakowski said the teen "is safe."

Officers stable after precinct shooting
  • Detroit
  • Ralph Godbee

Other Detroit officers had gone by Moore's home several hours before the shooting at the precinct, but he was not at home, Donakowski said. He declined to provide details of the precinct shooting.

Moore had a relative who was scheduled to be sentenced for double homicide, said the city's police chief, who added he could not "speculate as to motive" in the attack.

"There is nothing in this that makes sense at all," Godbee said in a news conference Monday.

Two of the injured officers have been released from the hospital. Still hospitalized in stable condition Tuesday were Cmdr. Brian Davis, who is recovering from a gunshot wound to the back, and Officer David Anderson, who was grazed in the head, police said.

The shooting has led to the reassessment of security measures by police officials. According to the chief, Mayor Dave Bing has committed to bringing in resources necessary to provide a safe environment, and interim measures will be put in place.

"We will do whatever is necessary to provide an environment for our officers that is safe," Godbee said, but he wouldn't specify any immediate changes. The chief said his office will be presenting the mayor with recommendations of security protocols that are "reflective of the reality that we have to live with every day."

Meanwhile, efforts to find a motive for the shooting continues. Godbee said police plan to speak with members of Moore's family and friends to see whether they can provide information.

CNN's Phil Gast contributed to this report.