- Naser Jason Abdo speaks with CNN affiliate WSMV
- He is charged with plotting to kill troops at Fort Hood, has pleaded not guilty
- Abdo says he first planned an attack at Fort Campbell
- "I felt like the only way to freedom or justice was martyrdom," he tells WSMV
A U.S. solider charged with plotting to blow up troops at Fort Hood, the nation's largest Army post, says he first planned an attack on Fort Campbell, CNN affiliate WSMV reported on Monday.
Naser Jason Abdo pleaded not guilty to federal charges last week. He has been indicted on six counts, including attempted murder of federal officers and the attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction. Prosecutors say he was in the process of building a bomb when he was arrested in July in Killeen, Texas, home to Fort Hood.
In what was described as his first interview since the arrest, Abdo told WSMV that he had originally planned an attack at Fort Campbell, located on the Tennessee-Kentucky state line, where he was stationed.
"On July 4th, I was going to kidnap, videotape the execution of a high-ranking member of my chain of command, who participated in the Afghan mission," he said.
Abdo told the station that he bought a cattle prod, handcuffs and shovels in preparation for the attack, and also visited a number of gun stores near the post. However, when military police learned about those visits, he decided to go AWOL, dumping his supplies before leaving town, he said.
WSMV reported that a gag order prevents military officials from talking about Abdo's case, and there was nothing in its report to corroborate his story.
Abdo was granted conscientious objector status after he refused to deploy to Afghanistan. In May, he was charged with possession of child pornography on his computer, according to the Army, and had been absent without leave since June.
According to prosecutors, Abdo planned to set off a bomb at a restaurant frequented by troops at Fort Hood..
"I felt like the only way to freedom or justice was martyrdom," he told WSMV.