French president: 3 humanitarian workers freed in Yemen after months-long ordeal

French President Nicolas Sarkozy says three French humanitarian workers held in Yemen had been set free.

Story highlights

  • The 3 aid workers have been held since May 28
  • The French presidential palace confirmed their release
Three French humanitarian workers held for more than five months were set free Sunday evening, according to a statement from France's president.
The three were kidnapped May 28 in the southern Yemeni city of Say'oon, a senior Yemeni interior ministry official in that city said at the time.
French President Nicolas Sarkozy learned Sunday night that they'd been released.
"With all the French, he rejoices at their release and shares the joy with their families," the statement said.
Sarkozy credited the sultan of Oman and other Omani authorities "for their decisive help, and everyone involved with this happy ending."