- "Our sincere apologies go out again to the victim," the U.S. Army says
- Pfc. Kevin Flippin broke into the teenager's home and raped her, court says
- The U.S. Army reinstated a curfew after the rape allegation surfaced
- Military officials had rescinded the previous curfew on July 2, 2010
A South Korean court sentenced a U.S. soldier to 10 years in prison for raping an 18-year-old South Korean girl in September, court officials said Tuesday.
The Uijeongbu District Court handed down the sentence Tuesday, about a month after the rape occurred in the area of Dongducheon, where the U.S. Army's 2nd Infantry Division is based.
The private, identified by the U.S. Army as Pfc. Kevin Lee Flippin, will be required to complete 80 hours of education on sexual violence, and his personal record will be available to the public for the next 10 years, according to South Korea's Yonhap News Agency.
Flippin broke into the teenager's home and raped her numerous times in a "sadistic" fashion, the court said as part of its ruling statement, according to Yonhap.
"Our sincere apologies go out again to the victim, her family and the Korean community," the Army's 2nd Infantry Division said in a statement. "The Republic of Korea executed jurisdiction, requested custody, tried, convicted and sentenced the soldier for his crime inside the Korean justice system, and he will now serve his sentence in a Korean prison.
"From the beginning we have worked in complete cooperation with the Korean National Police and other agencies."
This case came to light in September, around the same time that another soldier was accused of raping a South Korean girl.
U.S. Forces Korea reinstated a curfew on its troops October 7, days after allegations of the two rape cases involving U.S. soldiers surfaced.
"Given the incidents that have occurred over the last several months, I'm reinstating the curfew to assess current conditions," the commander of U.S. Forces Korea Gen. James D. Thurman said early October, as he announced the 30-day curfew.
Military officials had rescinded the previous curfew on July 2, 2010. That curfew had been in place for nine years.