(CNN) -- England striker Wayne Rooney will miss the group stages of Euro 2012 after being banned for three games Thursday for his red card against Montenegro in their final qualifying game.
Rooney was sent off in the 2-2 draw in Podgorica last Friday when he kicked out at Miodrag Dzudovic in the 74th minute.
"The UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body has today handed down a three-match suspension to England forward Wayne Rooney following his dismissal during the UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier in Montenegro last Friday," said a statement by European football's governing body.
The English Football Association (FA) is yet to decide whether or not to appeal.
"Further to UEFA's decision to impose a three match suspension on Wayne Rooney following his sending off against Montenegro, The FA await the full reasons from the disciplinary committee, and will give full consideration to the decision internally, before deciding on any response to UEFA or making any further public comment," the statement said.
The loss of Manchester United's Rooney is a severe blow to England's chances of reaching the knockout rounds in Poland and Ukraine next year.
They had been hopeful that UEFA might show leniency to the 25-year-old and hand him a one-game ban after referee Wolfgang Stark admitted Rooney's acceptance of his red card could work to his advantage.
But UEFA has ruled otherwise, calling the incident an "assault" which carries the three-game penalty.
Rooney, who has 73 caps, will be left to rue what England coach Fabio Capello called a "silly mistake."
Capello has also indicated that Rooney might not make it back into the fold after serving his suspension.
"Yes," replied Capello, when asked if he was prepared to leave Rooney out of his team.
"In my life as a manager I have put on the bench a lot of players. I always decided who was the best player at that moment."
Capello also said he would leave Rooney out of preparation friendly matches as he tries to find the best lineup without his talisman.