(CNN) -- Six-time boxing world champion Floyd Mayweather returns to the ring Saturday for the first time in more than a year, squaring off against Victor Ortiz.
Mayweather, 34, has won all 41 of his professional fights and is a six-time world champion at five different weights. He is hoping to add more laurels at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas -- specifically, the World Boxing Council welterweight championship that Ortiz won after beating Andre Berto in April.
The opponent for Mayweather, who has 25 knockouts over his professional career, is not the man many hoped he'd fight next: Eight-division world champion Manny Pacquiao. But disagreements over drug testing and other issues have repeatedly derailed these talks.
Instead, Ortiz will be his opponent. The 24-year-old American has suffered two defeats and two draws in his 33 fights.
"I'm a world champion for a reason, and I am not going to let go of my title any time soon," Ortiz said soon after the match was announced. "This is going to be a great fight, but I will remain a world champion for many years to come."
In a teleconference last week to promote the fight, Mayweather said that -- despite concerns about rust and age -- he "still feel(s) strong when I get to the gym."
"I still think I'm very, very sharp ... and I think the reason why is, I don't think that I have been in any toe-to-toe wars," he said.
Recently, Mayweather has made headlines more for his legal run-ins outside the ring than his performance in it.
That includes his arrest last December on a misdemeanor battery charge, after he allegedly assaulted a security guard at his housing complex.
Also, his former girlfriend has also accused the boxer of domestic violence. A criminal trial is scheduled to start in January.
HBO -- like CNN, a division of Time Warner -- reports that Mayweather is the defendant in a total of six court cases, including one levied by Pacquiao alleging defamation.
CNN's Steve Almasy contributed to this report.