(CNN) -- Danish police are trying to identify a man arrested after a blast at a Copenhagen hotel last week.
The man, who has been charged with weapons violations after the small explosion, was carrying identity papers from three central European countries, police said.
On Wednesday, authorities said the suspect could be a 24-year-old Russian man who has lived in Belgium for several years.
Police will keep the man in custody until October 4 while an investigation into the incident continues.
Police said they have not ruled out the possibility the incident was terror-related. They said Sunday they are working from a theory that the Jyllands-Posten newspaper in Aarhus, Denmark, may have been targeted but said media reports that the man had plans to attack the paper were inaccurate.
Jyllands-Posten triggered global protests and controversy in 2005 when it published 12 drawings of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed. The controversy grew in early 2006 when a Norwegian newspaper reprinted the drawings. Islamic law generally bans any depiction of Mohammed.
Police said the man caused an explosion Friday in the basement bathroom of the Hotel Joergensen in central Copenhagen.
The blast destroyed the bathroom and injured the suspect, who then ran into a nearby park. Police surrounded the man in the park and the bomb squad detonated a pouch he was wearing.
Guests and workers at the hotel were evacuated, while explosives experts searched through rooms and bags, police said.
The man appeared before a judge Saturday and said he was innocent of attempting to explode a bomb and carrying an illegal weapon.
He was charged with possession of a gun and the explosion of a bomb with the intent of putting lives at risk, according to Danish journalist Elisabeth Arnsdorf Haslund.
The man was in possession of a small amount of explosive, police said Sunday, and they do not expect to find more. They also have no proof others were involved.