London, England (CNN) -- Police expect to question Prime Minister David Cameron's top communications advisor as part of an investigation into the hacking of phones at the newspaper the aide used to edit, a top British police official said Tuesday.
"At some stage I imagine we would be seeing Mr. (Andy) Coulson in some capacity," said Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner John Yates. He refused, in questioning by lawmakers, to be pinned down about when.
Coulson resigned as editor of the News of the World newspaper after one of his reporters was sent to prison for hacking into phone messages of the royal family's household staff. Coulson denies knowing the illegal activity was taking place.
Both News of the World and Cameron's office said Tuesday they had no response to Yates's comment.
But Coulson said Monday he would be happy to meet with police voluntarily and "vehemently denies" allegations he knew of widespread phone hacking at his newspaper.
News of the World has also denied a culture of using illegal methods to get stories.
News of the World royal reporter Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire were sentenced to prison in 2007 for hacking into voice mails of members of the royal family's staff. Mulcaire also admitted hacking into model Elle MacPherson's messages, among others.
But The New York Times alleged in a detailed investigative story that -- far from Goodman and Mulcaire being lone culprits -- phone hacking was common practice at the newspaper.
The New York Times article last week prompted a furious response from a number of public figures, including former deputy prime minister John Prescott, who demanded that the police tell him if his phone had been hacked.
Yates said Sunday that "the newspaper produced no new evidence for us to consider reopening the case," but had reversed himself by Tuesday's parliamentary committee hearing.
Police will question one of the few sources who went on the record in the Times article, former News of the World journalist Sean Hoare, Yates said.
Hoare told the Times that Coulson, then his boss at the tabloid, "actively encouraged me" to hack into the voice mails of public figures to get stories for the News of the World.
Coulson's allies have cast doubt on Hoare's credibility since the Times article came out September 1, pointing out that Hoare was fired from the paper over allegations of drug and alcohol abuse.
The New York Times also alleges that the police did not pursue their investigation into the News of the World as aggressively as they could have, both because of a "symbiotic" relationship between the police and the paper and because they were busy with other investigations.
Yates did not respond to those allegations.
The News of the World Saturday rejected "absolutely any suggestion there was a widespread culture of wrongdoing" at the paper.
A British parliamentary committee twice investigated the tabloid.
Witnesses associated with the paper insisted there was no evidence that phone hacking extended beyond the two who were found guilty of it.
CNN's Geoff Hill, Richard Allen Greene and Bharati Naik contributed to this report.