(CNN) -- Eight people were killed and six others were injured in eastern China after an explosion that authorities said was caused by fireworks stored indoors, state media reported Sunday.
One person died on the spot after the Saturday explosion, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported, identifying her as the wife of the owner of the room where the fireworks were stored.
Thirteen people were taken to a nearby hospital, where seven died. The others were in stable condition Sunday, Xinhua said, citing unnamed officials.
The owner of the room where the fireworks were kept is accused of storing them illegally, Xinhua reported. It was not clear if he was injured in the blast.
The incident took place on a busy street in Yangxin county, Shandong provice, the agency said.