Skip to main content

7 NATO troops die after attacks in Afghanistan

By the CNN Wire Staff
Britain's Prince William places a wreath on the memorial to the British Soliders killed in Afghanistan on November 14, 2010 during a remembrance day ceremony at Camp Bastion in southern Afghanistan.
Britain's Prince William places a wreath on the memorial to the British Soliders killed in Afghanistan on November 14, 2010 during a remembrance day ceremony at Camp Bastion in southern Afghanistan.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Troops killed in insurgent attacks, NATO says
  • The NATO-led International Security Assistance Force does not give identities of the dead
RELATED TOPICS
  • Afghanistan
  • NATO
  • Helmand Province

(CNN) -- Seven NATO troops died after attacks in Afghanistan on Sunday, the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force said.

Five troops died following an insurgent attack in eastern Afghanistan, ISAF said, though it did not provide details about the attack.

Another ISAF service member died following an improvised explosive device attack in southern Afghanistan, ISAF said Sunday, after earlier announcing the death of another servicemember in an IED attack in the southern part of the country.

It was not clear whether those two troops died as a result of the same attack.

Sunday marked the deadliest day for NATO forces in Afghanistan since October 14, when 7 NATO troops were killed.

There have been 34 coalition casualties in Afghanistan so far this month, according to a CNN count.

ISAF did not disclose the identifies of the service members killed, citing its policy of deferring casualty identification procedures to relevant national authorities.

But the British defense ministry said in a statement Sunday that one of its soldiers died Sunday in southern Afghanistan.

The soldier was assigned to 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment and was serving as part of Combined Force Nad'e Ali (South), according to the statement. The soldier died in an improvised explosive device attack in the southern Nad'e Ali area of Helmand Province.

The soldier was part of a security patrol, Task Force Helmand spokesman Lt. Col. David Eastman said in a statement.

Next of kin have been informed, Britain's Ministry of Defence said.

 
Quick Job Search