Skip to main content

After 28 years, man has chopstick surgically removed

From Helena Hong, CNN
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Patient was sent to the hospital because of digestive tract bleeding
  • The patient swallowed the chopstick by mistake, his surgeon says

Beijing, China (CNN) -- A man who swallowed a chopstick 28 years ago has had it surgically removed, his surgeon said Wednesday.

The man was sent to the hospital because of digestive tract bleeding, but is doing well now, said surgeon Dongwei Zhang.

The surgery went well, with the help of a laparoscope and stomach scope.

When the wooden chopstick was removed, stomach juices had turned it black, the surgeon said.

The patient swallowed the chopstick by mistake, he added.