(CNN) -- Stephen Bosworth, Washington's point man on North Korea, arrived in Seoul, South Korea, on Sunday to discuss the resumption of the six-party talks on Pyongyang's nuclear program, South Korea's official Yonhap news agency reported.
Bosworth will visit through Tuesday and will met with Shin Kak-soo, South Korea's acting foreign minister, and Wi Sung-lac, the nation's chief nuclear envoy, Yonhap said. The officials will "coordinate the two countries' view on the resumption of six-way talks aimed at solving North Korea's nuclear arms standoff," the news agency said.
Bosworth was to be accompanied by U.S. Ambassador Sung Kim, who represents Washington at the six-party talks, according to two State Department sources. He also was accompanied by Daniel Russel, director for Asian affairs at the National Security Council, according to Yonhap.
The American delegation will have talks in Seoul; Tokyo, Japan; and Beijing, China, the officials said.
The U.S. participates in the talks along with North and South Korea, China, Japan, the United States and Russia.
Tensions on the Korean Peninsula are high, since Seoul blamed North Korea for the sinking of a South Korean warship in March. A South Korean report, whose findings have been endorsed by the United States, alleged that a North Korean sub sank the Cheonan warship with a torpedo, killing 46 sailors. North Korea denies it sank the ship.
North Korea leader Kim Jong-Il visited China last month, meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao. According to China's state-run news agency, Xinhua, Kim said he hoped for an early resumption of six-party talks to ease tension between North and South Korea.
Delegates to the talks had sought to disarm North Korea of nuclear weapons, but North Korea ended the talks last year after the United Nations Security Council condemned its launch of a long-range rocket, saying it violated a resolution banning ballistic missile testing. North Korea also expelled U.S. nuclear experts and U.N. nuclear inspectors after the rebuke.
Pyongyang on Friday proposed to Seoul that cross-border reunions of families separated by the Korean War resume, according to Yonhap. The talks have been stalled since September.
CNN's Elise Labott contributed to this report.