Skip to main content

Hotel attacked in Mumbai siege reopens

By the CNN Wire Staff
Oberoi spokeswoman Ketaki Narain said guests have taken 22 of its 287 rooms so far.
Oberoi spokeswoman Ketaki Narain said guests have taken 22 of its 287 rooms so far.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • More than 160 people were killed in Mumbai attacks in November 2008
  • Armed men attacked Oberoi, Trident, Taj Mahal Palace and Tower hotels in Mumbai
  • India blamed a Pakistan-based terror group allied with al Qaeda for attacks
RELATED TOPICS
  • India
  • Mumbai
  • Al Qaeda

New Delhi, India (CNN) -- The Oberoi, one of the hotels attacked and badly damaged in the Mumbai siege nearly 18 months ago, reopened Saturday after an extensive renovation.

"Welcome Back. The Oberoi, Mumbai re-opens today," front-page newspaper ads said on Saturday. "Thank you for your support."

Hotel spokeswoman Ketaki Narain said guests have taken 22 of its 287 rooms and the seaside luxury hotel's three restaurants are booked for dinner.

More than 160 people were killed in Mumbai in November 2008 as 10 men attacked The Oberoi, the adjacent Trident and nearby Taj Mahal Palace and Tower hotels.

They also struck the city's historic Victoria Terminus train station, and the Jewish cultural center, Chabad House in what was a three-day assault.

Both the Trident and the Taj reopened soon after the attacks.

India blamed the attacks on the Lashkar-e-Tayyiba, a Pakistan-based terror group allied with al Qaeda.

CNN's Harmeet Shah Singh contributed to this report.