(CNN) -- Officials in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas have found two bodies that may be those of two men investigating the massacre of 72 migrants in the state.
The bodies were found near the town of Comas Altas in the municipality of Mendes, the state attorney general's office said Tuesday.
The bodies may be those of Jaime Suarez Roberto Vazquez and Juan Carlos Suarez Sanchez, who served respectively as deputy public investigator and secretary of public safety in San Fernando, Tamaulipas.
Among the belongings found were personal identification, voter ID, badges for the attorney general's office and the city of San Fernando.
DNA tests are under way to determine their identities.
Both men have been missing since August 24.
The officials were investigating the killings of 72 migrants whose bodies were found last week in northern Mexico.
At least 27 bodies have been identified and returned to their home countries in Honduras and El Salvador.
Three people are believed to have survived the mass killings, although only one -- an Ecuadorean man -- has spoken publicly. Mexican authorities have withheld details about survivors, citing safety concerns.
Officials said a preliminary investigation shows that the Zetas drug cartel was responsible for the killings.