Skip to main content

At least 4 dead in Nigerian New Year's blast

By the CNN Wire Staff
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Nigeria's president condemns the attack
  • The second blast appears to have been fireworks, emergency spokesman says
  • At least 4 are dead and 13 are wounded, police spokesman says
  • Another source says at least 11 are dead

(CNN) -- At least four people were killed and another 13 wounded Friday in a bomb blast at an army barracks in Abuja, Nigeria, the deputy police commissioner said.

Deputy Police Commissioner Olusola Amore said three of the dead and six of the wounded were women. Police bomb experts were on the scene, he said.

Presidential spokesman Ima Niboro said the perpetrators of the blast were "evil people determined to turn the joys of fellow Nigerians to ashes."

"The president, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, condemns this attack, and commands the nation's security services to rise to the occasion and arrest this new and dangerous challenge to our peace and stability," Niboro said. "There shall be no sacred cows. All, no matter how remotely connected to these incidents, must be brought to justice. They must be made to pay. No one, and we repeat, no one, can make this nation ungovernable."

Five bomb blasts a week ago targeted Christmas Eve celebrants in Jos, Nigeria, killing more than 30 people.

Read about 92 arrests after the killings

Yushau Shaib, a spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency, said that the blast took place at about 7 p.m. in the Sani Abacha barracks' Manny Market, where people had gathered to celebrate the new year. The area was evacuated and civil defense and fire services were on the scene, Shaib said.

A second blast reported at a nearby church appears to have been fireworks, Shaib said.

Earlier, a police source, who asked to remain anonymous because he was not authorized to speak to the media, said that at least 11 people had been killed.