Skip to main content

War crimes trial postponed

By the CNN Wire Staff
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Trial of Jean-Pierre Bemba Gombo was postponed until July 14
  • Central African Republic citizen accused of murder and rape
  • Delay attributed to "administrative reasons"
RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- The trial of a man accused of war crimes in the Central African Republic has been postponed, the International Criminal Court said Friday.

The start of the trial of Jean-Pierre Bemba Gombo was postponed until July 14 for "administrative reasons," the court said in a written statement. He had been scheduled to go on trial on July 5.

Prosecutors have charged Gombo with crimes against humanity -- murder and rape -- and three war crimes -- murder, rape and pillaging. They say he acted as a military commander and committed the criminal acts in the Central African Republic between October 26, 2002 and March 15, 2003.

Gombo is in custody at the International Criminal Court detention center in The Hague, Netherlands.