Skip to main content

Maryland high schoolers fall sick after snacking on brownies

By the CNN Wire Staff
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Several Maryland high school students became sick suddenly, officials say
  • They all got ill after eating brownies
  • A fire department spokesman says, "We're not sure what the brownies were made with"
  • Six of the students are in "good condition" at an area hospital, the spokesman says

(CNN) -- Seven Maryland high schoolers fell ill suddenly Thursday after eating brownies, a county fire official said.

Paramedics rushed to Potomac High School in Oxon Hill, just south of Washington, just before 11 a.m., after receiving a call about several students becoming ill, according to a Prince George's County fire department Twitter post. There, they found seven students sick "after eating a food product" and transported six of them to a local hospital.

Mark Brady, a spokesman for the county fire department, said the high schoolers got sick after eating brownies.

"We're not sure what the brownies were made with," he said.

Brady said the six students are in good condition at the hospital. The department said that they'd suffered from either a "sudden illness or allergic reaction."

Prince George's County sheriff's deputies and police also responded to the scene, Brady said, and collected samples of the brownies for testing.

CNN's Kelly Smoot Marshall contributed to this report.

 
Quick Job Search