Skip to main content

Feds nix FEMA aid for victims of Califronia pipeline blast

From Jeanne Meserve, CNN
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The state can appeal decision
  • "Not a need for additional support," FEMA says

(CNN) -- Federal officials have turned down California's request for federal disaster aid for a deadly gas pipeline explosion earlier this month, a spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency said Tuesday.

"FEMA has been in close contact with the state since the fire occurred, and based on the information they provided, it was determined that there was not a need for additional support at this time, beyond the federal assistance provided for response activities," said spokesman Brad Carroll.

A federal official told CNN that state officials have 30 days to appeal with any additional information.

The official added that federal law prevents FEMA from duplicating benefits, whether they are eligible insurance payments or payments made by a responsible party.

The September 9 blast in San Bruno, California, destroyed 37 homes and killed eight people. The eighth fatality occurred Tuesday, when James Emil Franco, 58, succumbed to his injuries.