(CNN) -- As many as 100 people were treated Monday for exposure to an ammonia leak at a warehouse in Theodore, Alabama, an emergency management official said.
The leak forced residents within a mile radius of the refrigerated warehouse to stay indoors while air quality was tested, said John Kilcullen, operations director for Mobile County's Emergency Management Services.
Kilcullen says those exposed to the leak were transported to five area hospitals, or sought treatment on their own at local emergency rooms.
Officials at two hospitals told CNN they treated more than 30 patients for such symptoms as shortness of breath and nausea.
Theodore is about 10 miles southwest of Mobile, just off Interstate 10.
CNN's Vivian Kuo and Max Newfield contributed to this report.