Skip to main content

Death toll lowered in Arkansas storms

By the CNN Wire Staff
Click to play
'My truck left the ground' in tornado
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • One person, not three, were killed Friday in Van Buren County, Arkansas
  • Number of injuries in the county also less than previously reported, spokeswoman says
  • A total of 23 people were injured statewide, she said

(CNN) -- The death toll from severe storms in northern Arkansas has been lowered to one person, emergency officials said early Saturday.

Officials had initially said three people were killed when the storm and possible tornadoes walloped Van Buren County on Friday.

The number of injuries in the county was also less than previously reported, said Rene Preslar, a spokeswoman for the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management.

There were 10 people injured in the county instead of the 25 previously reported, Preslar said.

Video: Severe Weather Outlook
Video: Memphis streets under water
RELATED TOPICS

"We are still looking at a number of damages, but fortunately the human impact is lower than previously thought."

A total of 23 people were injured statewide, Preslar said.

CNN's Patty Lane contributed to this report.