(CNN) -- Sebastian Vettel made Formula One history as he won the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to clinch the title.
The 23-year-old German becomes the youngest champion in the sport's history and his triumph completes the double for Red Bull who won the constructors' category.
Fernando Alonso went into the final round with an eight-point lead in the standings ahead of Vettel's teammate Mark Webber of Australia, but they finished seventh and eighth respectively to see their title hopes ended.
Vettel was winning his fifth race of the season and he dominated from pole position to hold off 2008 champion Lewis Hamilton whose McLaren teammate Jenson Button took third.
Drivers' Championship (after 19 rounds):
1. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 256 points
2. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari 252
3. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 242
4. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren 240
5. Jenson Button (GB) McLaren 214
6. Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 144
7. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes 142
8. Robert Kubica (Pol) Renault 136
9. Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes 72
10. Rubens Barrichello (Bra) Williams 47
1. Red Bull 498 points
2. McLaren 454
3. Ferrari 396
4. Mercedes 214
5. Renault 163
6. Williams 69
7. Force India 68
8. Sauber 44
9. Toro Rosso 13