Skip to main content

Balotelli to miss Manchester derby

Mario Balotelli will miss Manchester City's derby clash with Manchester United after his dismissal on Sunday.
Mario Balotelli will miss Manchester City's derby clash with Manchester United after his dismissal on Sunday.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Mario Balotelli will miss the Manchester derby after his sending off at West Brom
  • Man City striker was handed straight red after appearing to kick Youssuf Mulumbu
  • Balotelli scored both goals in Sunday's match but will now miss Manchester United clash
  • Football Association hearing will take place on Tuesday 9 November

(CNN) -- Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli will miss Wednesday's derby clash with Manchester United after accepting his dismissal against West Bromwich Albion on Sunday.

The Italian forward was shown a straight red card for a clash with Youssuf Mulumbu after an hour of the game at the Hawthorns and was handed a three-match ban by the English Football Association (FA).

The club say they now accept the sending off, as Balotelli had already been shown a yellow card before his tangle with Mulumbu, but they have decided to appeal the length of the ban.

City say they hope to get the ban reduced in a hearing by an independent regulatory commission of the FA on Tuesday.

"Manchester City can confirm that we have today submitted an appeal following the dismissal of Mario Balotelli for violent conduct," a statement on the club's official website read on Monday.

I don't agree with the referee's decision to send him off at all -- it was not a red card in my opinion
--Roberto Mancini, Manchester City manager
RELATED TOPICS

The FA confirmed City had lodged an appeal, calling the ban "excessive." But City will now definitely be without their star striker for their derby clash with Manchester United at Eastlands.

Manager Roberto Mancini praised Balotelli for his form in the match and expressed his confusion as to why the red card was awarded.

"Mario was excellent because he scored two fantastic goals, defended and worked very hard for the team," Mancini told his club's official website.

"I don't agree with the referee's decision to send him off at all -- it was not a red card in my opinion."

Meanwhile, Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has says he still has a way to go hit peak form despite scoring twice in the Reds' 2-0 win over reigning champions Chelsea on Sunday.

"Every day I am feeling better and improving," Torres told the official website of European football's governing body, UEFA.

"It has been difficult. It was a tough end of [last] season for me, and so was the World Cup, with lots of injuries. I don't know if I can play my best soon, but I hope I will."

After having escaped the relegation zone, the win marked Liverpool's third victory in as many matches in the Premier League, and saw them claim ninth position in the table.