(CNN) -- The Italian Football League remain hopeful that a proposed Serie A players strike, scheduled for the weekend of September 25-26, can be avoided.
Talks have begun between the league and Italian Players' Association (AIC) representatives, to avoid a walkout by players over a dispute regarding a contract concerning players' rights.
However, league president Maurizio Beretta told reporters on Monday that initial negotiations between the parties had begun and signs of progress had already been made.
"We are starting to look more closely at the various points and that's a positive element. From here to finding a positive solution there is a lot to do."
However, president of the AIC, Sergio Campana, also confirmed to the media that the strike was still scheduled to happen.
"Negotiations are moving forwards but for the moment the strike stands. We will meet again on Wednesday and Friday but we're not moving on two of the eight points of the new contract proposed by the League: obliging players to accept a transfer and the possibility of banning them from training with the first team," said Campana.
The current stalemate occured when a collective contract between the AIC and the league, guaranteeing players' rights, expired during the summer and talks on a new deal failed.
The sticking point is that clubs want the power to be able to sell players in the final year of their contract and, if a player refuses, he must buy out his contract at 50 per cent of its worth.