Skip to main content

Late Fulham goal sees Man United held

Simon Davies (right) scored Fulham's first equalizing goal in their thrilling 2-2 home draw with Manchester United.
Simon Davies (right) scored Fulham's first equalizing goal in their thrilling 2-2 home draw with Manchester United.
  • A late header from Brede Hangeland earns Fulham a 2-2 draw with Manchester United
  • The goal came just six minutes after the defender had scored an own goal
  • Andy Carroll scores a hat-trick as Newcastle thrash Aston Villa 6-0 in other match
  • Former Chelsea and Arsenal defender William Gallas completes switch to Tottenham

(CNN) -- A late header from Brede Hangeland, who had scored an own goal just six minutes earlier, earned Fulham a 2-2 home draw with Manchester United in a thrilling English Premier League match on Sunday.

Hangeland was left unmarked to head in an 89th minute corner to deprive United of all three points in a thilling encounter.

United had taken a 10th-minute lead when in-form midfielder Paul Scholes drilled home a superb strike from outside the area -- his 150th goal for the club.

Fulham battled back and should have levelled on the half hour mark when United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar -- playing against his former club -- made a remarkable double save from midfielder Dickson Etuhu.

However, the hosts did level 11 minutes after the break when a flowing move on the right saw Bobby Zamora pull the ball back for the on-rushing Simon Davies to drill his shot past van der Sar.

A draw looked on the cards until the 83rd minute when a United corner deflected off Norwegian defender Hangeland's leg, perfectly splitting two Fulham players on the goalline.

And the points looked sealed just two minutes later when United were awarded a penalty after Damien Duff's handball in the area.

However, Portuguese winger Nani's spot-kick was superbly saved by Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale.


Then, with time running out, Hangeland made amends for his own goal by earning Fulham a deserved draw in an end-to-end match.

Meanwhile, in the day's other match, newly-promoted Newcastle thumped Aston Villa 6-0 -- the third such scoreline of the weekend after similar victories for Chelsea and Arsenal on Saturday.

Striker Andy Carroll helped himself to a hat-trick as Villa, under the caretaker charge of Kevin McDonald following manager Martin O'Neill's resignation on the eve of the season, completely fell apart at St James' Park.

The result could have been so different had Villa not wasted a golden opportunity to take a 10th-minute lead.

Goalkeeper Steve Harper fouled Ashley Young in the area but John Carew's wasteful penalty sailed high over the crossbar.

The visitors were made to pay for that miss just two minutes later when Joey Barton fired Newcastle ahead with a superb dipping 30-yard drive.

The Magpies doubled their lead in the 32nd-minute when Kevin Nolan scored from close range after his initial header was parried by goalkeeper Brad Freidel.

And, two minutes later, Newcastle added a third when Carroll blasted home from close range after the Villa defense failed to deal with a corner.

The fourth goal came midway through the second half when Carroll reacted first to fire home a loose ball and Nolan added his second three minutes later when converting after Shola Ameobi's header had been blocked.

Carroll completed his hat-trick in injury time after being set up by Spanish substitute Xisco.

After the game, Newcastle manager Chris Hughton confirmed that the club had agreed a deal to sign Ivory Coast midfielder Cheick Tiote from Dutch side FC Twente.

The 24-year-old has passed a medical and is now awaiting a work permit before completing his move.

In other transfer news, Tottenham have completed the signing of former Arsenal and Chelsea defender William Gallas on a one-year contract.

The 33-year-old Gallas becomes the first player to appear for both north London rivals since Sol Campbell controversially left Spurs for Arsenal in 2002.