(CNN) -- Mano Menezes has been entrusted to lead Brazil into the next World Cup on home soil in 2014 after being named as the replacement for sacked coach Dunga.
The 48-year-old has no experience outside of his native Brazil where he has enjoyed success with Gremo and his current club Corinthians.
"I have the honor to inform you that I was approached by the Brazilian Football Confederation to take over the post of national team coach," AFP reported Menezes at a media conference in Sao Paulo.
"I have come here to officially confirm that I have accepted the offer."
The Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) said Menezes had been on a three-man shortlist to succeed Dunga and his chances greatly improved after Fluminense refused to release Muricy Ramalho from his contract.
The new man in charge was then contacted by Ricardo Teixeira, the head of the CBF.
"Menezes was already on a three-man shortlist, drawn up during the World Cup in South Africa," said a statement on the official CBF website.
"And his name was confirmed following talks with Texeira during which he approved the renewal project decided by the CBF pertaining to the 2014 World Cup that Brazil will host," it added.
Reports in Brazil said the third name on the CBF shortlist was former coach Luiz Felipe Scolari, who led Brazil to their 2002 World Cup triumph.
Former Portugal and Chelsea coach Scolari will remain at Brazilian club side Palmeiras.
Menezes will be officially unveiled on Monday before naming his squad for a friendly against the United States on August 10.
Dunga was sacked after Brazil were sent crashing out of the quarterfinals of the World Cup by the Netherlands.
They had gone into the finals as South American champions and the world's top-ranked team, but after taking the lead against the Dutch slipped to a disappointing 2-1 defeat.