(CNN) -- Schalke striker Kevin Kuranyi will not be going to the World Cup after Germany coach Joachim Loew publicly ruled out his participation in the finals in South Africa next month.
His superb form in the Bundesliga this season, with 18 goals for the title challengers, had led to speculation that the 28-year-old could win a recall to the German squad, which is to be unveiled later this week.
"After full consideration in the training team we came to the conclusion that we have other ideas for the make-up of our World Cup team, both tactically and when it comes to personnel," Loew told a press conference on Monday.
"I said this quite openly to Kevin."
Kuranyi, who has 52 international caps, has not played for Germany since his controversial walkout after being left out of the squad for a World Cup qualifier against Russia in October 2008.
Loew vowed never to pick him again, but last month he appeared to soften his stance and said he was mulling over whether to include Kuranyi in his plans.
But he insisted that his past indiscretion had nothing to do with his decision to ignore his claims.
"The disciplinary event ... didn't matter to me at the end of the day. It would not have been a problem to have given him another chance in the national team.
"Kevin ... has the character of a consummate professional, in my view."
Germany will announce their full squad on Thursday and Loew has plenty of striking choice with Bayern Munich pair Miroslav Klose and Mario Gomez, Bayer Leverkusen's Stefan Kiessling and Cacau of Stuttgart pressing for inclusion.
The squad will be whittled down to 23 after a training camp in Italy.
Kuranyi said he accepted Loew's decision and wished the team well.
"I gave all I could this season on the pitch, but sadly it wasn't enough," Kuranyi told AFP.
"But it is the national coach's decision, and I respect and accept it."