(CNN) -- Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder David Beckham has revealed he is set to miss the entire Major League Soccer (MLS) season with the Achilles injury that ended his 2010 World Cup dream.
The former England captain has said he will not be able to start running on his ankle for another three months, and is now targeting a November return.
"I won't be running for another three months so I won't be playing again until probably November," Beckham told American broadcaster ABC.
With the U.S. season set to reach its conclusion on November 21, it looks unlikely that the 34-year-old will feature for the Galaxy this term.
While Beckham accepts his injury needs time to heal, he admitted there is a temptation to push along his recovery.
"This is an injury that's going to take time to heal," he said to MLSsoccer.com.
"I started therapy 10 days ago and I'm just doing that everyday. I kind of want to push it, but with this kind of injury you can't. You just have to wait for it to heal and move on."
The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star also spoke of his frustration at having to wear a protective boot, or use crutches, at all times.
"If I haven't got the boot on, which I didn't today for a few interviews, I have to use crutches," said Beckham.
"It's either one or the other at the moment, which is a pain. It's not easy moving around but I have to protect it."
Beckham sustained the injury last month while playing on loan for Italian giants AC Milan, shattering his hopes of playing in a fourth consecutive World Cup finals for England.
It led to speculation that the former Manchester United star would retire, but he clearly remains determined to return to action after having surgery on the injury.