(CNN) -- The head of the International Olympic Committee has urged soccer's ruling body FIFA to take a tough approach against corruption when it deals with the World Cup bidding scandal.
Two members of FIFA's executive committee, Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii, have been provisionally suspended following allegations they were prepared to accept bribes in exchange for their votes for deciding the 2018 and 2022 hosts. Four other officials were also suspended ahead of a full hearing next month.
The IOC expelled 10 members in 1999 following the bribery controversy in Salt Lake City's bid to host the 2002 Winter Games, and its president Jacques Rogge believes FIFA should take similar action.
"I think the IOC took the right conclusions on something that was very unpleasant," Rogge told reporters following an IOC executive board meeting in Acapulco, Mexico.
"We did everything we could and I'm sure the IOC came out of the crisis as a better and more transparent organization, and I hope that will also be the case for FIFA."
The Belgian revealed that he had already spoken to his football counterpart Sepp Blatter following the outbreak of the corruption scandal.
Blatter has already spoken out about the negative impact he believes the situation has had on the bidding process for the upcoming World Cup bids.
"He [Blatter] was so kind to call me when the whole issue emerged and he kept me informed about what he had done and the decision that had been taken by FIFA," Rogge said.
"I encouraged him to do exactly what he has done and to try to clean out as much as [corruption] possible."
The 2018 World Cup will be hosted by a European nation following the United States' withdrawal, with England, Russia, Spain-Portugal and Belgium-Holland vying for the rights.
The U.S. is up against Australia, Qatar, Japan and South Korea in the 2022 vote, which will also be held on December 2.