Skip to main content

Klitschko calls on Haye to accept offer

t1larg.vit.gi.jpg
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • WBC champion Vitali Klitschko says he wants to fight David Haye next year
  • The 39-year-old Ukrainian defended his title for the fifth time against Shannon Briggs
  • WBA champion Haye will fight fellow Briton Audley Harrison next month
  • Briggs releases statement confirming he did not suffer serious injuries on Saturday

(CNN) -- Heavyweight boxing champion Vitali Klitschko has again challenged David Haye to front up for a showdown next year, following the Ukrainian's fifth defense of his WBC title at the weekend.

The 39-year-old, whose unanimous decision victory over Shannon Briggs in Germany put the battered American in hospital, told his fans that he wants to fight on for another year.

"I would like to knock out Haye so that we can claim the only belt missing from the family's collection," said Klitschko, whose younger brother Wladimir holds the IBF, WBO and IBO crowns ahead of his next bout against British champion Dereck Chisora on December 11.

"There is no-one in the world apart from my brother who can beat me, I am the strongest. I still have plenty of energy, and in a few months, I will be ready to get back in the ring."

We proposed that each fighter would receive 50 percent of the world rights. It is a fair offer, Haye has just to agree to it
--Klitschko's manager Bernd Bonte
RELATED TOPICS

Either Cuba's Odlanier Solis and American Ray Austin will be the official WBC challenger after they square up in December, but the Klitschko camp is hoping to tempt WBA champion Haye -- whose next fight is against fellow Briton Audley Harrison on November 13.

Klitschko said last week that Haye rejected an offer to fight him before agreeing that date, having pulled out of a scheduled clash with Wladimir last year due to an injury before winning the WBA title in November.

"We proposed that each fighter would receive 50 percent of the world rights. It is a fair offer, Haye has just to agree to it," Klitschko's business manager Bernd Bonte said in quotes carried by the Seconds Out website on Monday.

Meanwhile, Briggs released a statement on Monday to allay fears that he had suffered serious injuries in Hamburg, but confirmed he would stay in hospital due to an upper arm problem he sustained early in Saturday's fight.

"After several tests the doctors concluded that there were no severe head injuries. I am staying in the hospital to further examine an injury to my left bicep that I suffered in the first round," the 38-year-old said.

"Unfortunately, the injury kept me from fully executing my fight plan. Not to take anything away from a brilliant performance by Vitali Klitschko Saturday night, had I had not injured my arm early on, who knows how the fight would have concluded.

"Throughout the contest my trainer Herman Caicedo wanted to stop the fight, but I made it clear that stopping the fight was not an option."