Skip to main content

Favre dodges questions about NFL investigation

By The CNN Wire Staff
Click to play
Favre accused of 'sexting'
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The NFL is investigating allegations against Favre
  • A Jets spokesman says the team has no role in the probe
  • Favre has had no comment on the allegations
RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- Star quarterback Brett Favre dodged questions about his texting scandal at the postgame news conference better than he did New York Jets defenders during the game Monday Night.

After his Minnesota Vikings loss to the Jets 29-20, reporters seemed to want to talk to Favre more about his brewing scandal than the thrilling game against his former team. He has been accused of sending sexually explicit messages to three women.

"I said what I had to say," Favre said after a series of questions. "I am disappointed that we lost this football game. If you want to talk about football, I can't say I'd love to talk about football. ... But, once again, it is disappointing that we lost."

The New York Jets have given National Football League officials all the information they have regarding the incident, a team spokesman said Monday.

The league is investigating the allegations against the veteran quarterback, an NFL spokesman said Friday. The claims were first published by the sports website Deadspin.com, which has posted naked pictures, text and voice messages it alleges he sent to a model and former television host who worked for the Jets in 2008.

Jesse Derris, a spokesman for the Jets, told HLN's "Prime News" that the team has no role in the allegations against Favre, who played one season in New York and now plays for the Minnesota Vikings.

Favre, who has been married for 14 years, has had no public comment on the allegations and declined to answer a question about them during a news conference last week. He signed with the Minnesota Vikings in August 2009 after coming out of retirement for the second time in as many years and led the Vikings against the Jets on Monday night.

Monday, he continued to elude questions.

Asked if he was embarrassed about the incident, he said: "I am embarrassed that we lost this football game."

Asked again about the scandal, Favre again moved the conversation back to the game and his teammates' performance.

"Let's talk about Randy Moss' touchdown catch. I'd love to do that. Or Percy Harvin. Does anybody want to ask about Percy?" Favre asked.

Deadspin first reported in August that Favre sent text messages, left voice mails and sent pictures of himself naked from the waist down to Jenn Sterger, who worked as a sideline personality and host for the Jets at the time. It published what it said were excerpts from the messages last Thursday.

Friday, Deadspin reported that a second woman had come forward to allege that she had received other lewd messages from the quarterback and that a third woman, whom the site did not identify, had received similar messages. The site reported the two women were massage therapists hired by the Jets, and identified them only by pseudonyms.

Derris said the therapists were hired only for two days in the team's 2008 training camp, and would not confirm whether they had any direct contact with Favre.

CNN could not independently confirm whether the voice heard in the recordings belonged to Favre, or whether the notes were in fact sent by him. Sterger's representatives have declined comment.

A.J. Daulerio, Deadspin's editor-in-chief and author of Favre pieces, told CNN on Monday that no one from the NFL has contacted him about an investigation into Favre. He acknowledged third-party sources were paid for the story about Sterger, and that he can't say definitively that the messages or photos the site posted came from the 41-year-old quarterback.

Favre played most of his career with the Green Bay Packers, leading the team to a Super Bowl title in 1997. He was traded to the Jets after the 2007 season.

HLN's Lisa Sileo and CNN's Matt Smith contributed to this report.