Skip to main content

Semenya press briefing axed at last minute

Caster Semenya has not raced since claiming gold in the 800 meters at the World Championship in Berlin last August.
Caster Semenya has not raced since claiming gold in the 800 meters at the World Championship in Berlin last August.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Press briefing on Caster Semenya case cancelled at last minute
  • Semenya underwent a gender test after winning the 800m at world championship
  • IAAF say they will not comment until the case is concluded
RELATED TOPICS

(CNN) -- A press conference that was expected to reveal whether world 800 meter champion Caster Semenya could compete again has been postponed at the last minute.

The 19-year-old was due to learn the results of a gender test at a briefing organized by the South African Ministry of Sport and Recreation in Johannesburg, but it was called off.

Semenya has not competed since taking gold at the World Championship's in Germany last year after the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) asked her to undertake a gender test.

A deadline for the conclusion of the issue was set for the end of June by the IAAF, Athletics South Africa and her lawyers.

The company organizing the press briefing told CNN: "Unfortunately we do not know why it was cancelled. We just received notice from the Department of Sport and Recreation that it is cancelled."

Semenya's lawyers told CNN the press conference was axed because chief minister Doctor Makhenkesi Stofile decided it was "premature" to make an announcement.

Greg Nott, managing partner of Dewey & LeBoeuf's Johannesburg Office, told CNN in a statement: "We have been advised that the press conference scheduled for Thursday afternoon was cancelled by the minister because the IAAF Exco has not received a formal briefing on this matter from the medical team.

"As such, the minister had concluded it is premature to make an announcement and we respect the minister's decision to wait a bit longer. We do, however, expect an announcement in the very near future."

A statement released by the IAAF said the matter must remain confidential until their investigation had been completed.

As quoted by the UK Press Association it read: "The Caster Semenya case is being handled jointly by the IAAF and representatives for Semenya in a satisfactory way.

"It is important to note though that the procedure has still not been completed and must therefore remain confidential.

"The IAAF will only issue an official statement at the end of the process, which is now well under way.

"Until then, all parties should refrain from making statements that could only cause unnecessary confusion."