(CNN) -- Brazilian Felipe Massa is the new Formula One world championship leader after the third race of the season in Malaysia.
The Ferrari driver finishes seventh to sneak ahead of his teammate Fernando Alonso by just two points.
Massa lies on 39 points, just ahead of Alonso -- who failed to finish at Sepang -- and race winner Sebastian Vettel, who are both tied on 37 points.
Jenson Button and Nico Rosberg are another two points further behind as just four points seoarate the top five drivers in what promises to be an open race for the 2010 title.
Meanwhile, Ferrari still hold the constructors' lead, but they are now only 10 points clear of McLaren. Red Bull's 1-2 in Malaysia means they are now close up in third place.
Drivers' Championship (after three rounds):
1. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 39 points
2. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari 37
3. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 37
4. Jenson Button (GB) McLaren 35
5. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes GP 35
6. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren 31
7. Robert Kubica (Pol) Renault 30
8. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 24
9. Adrian Sutil (Ger) Force India 10
10. Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes GP 9
1. Ferrari 76 points
2. McLaren 66
3. Red Bull 61
4. Mercedes GP 44
5. Renault 30
6. Force India 18