(CNN) -- Former undefeated world middleweight and light-heavweight champion Joe Calzaghe has issued an apology on his official Web site, after admitting telling a British newspaper reporter that he used recreational drugs.
Calzaghe confirmed he had occasionally used cocaine following his retirement from the ring -- after the News of the World newspaper published an exclusive story about the Welshman on Sunday.
The 38-year-old admitted that he told a reporter, who was posing as a potential business partner, that he had taken the drug during "what have sometimes been the long days" following his decision to hang up his gloves last year.
Calzaghe said in a statement: "In talking directly to my fans, I am deeply sorry if anyone feels let down and I will make sure that nothing like it happens again.
"I very much regret my occasional use of cocaine in what have sometimes been the long days since my retirement from the ring.
"I am fully aware of the bad example that this sets to other people and particularly to youngsters and I apologize to my family, friends and fans.
"It is not a major problem in my life but it is something which I am actively addressing," he added.