(CNN) -- Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso gave Ferrari the perfect start to the 2010 season with victory in his debut race for the Italian team in Bahrain on Sunday.
The Spaniard led home his new teammate Felipe Massa as Ferrari took a 22-point lead over old rivals McLaren, for whom 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton claimed third place and reigning titleholder Jenson Button was seventh.
New team Mercedes, who bought out Button's former team Brawn following last season's double triumph by the English outfit, made an encouraging start as Nico Rosberg picked up 10 points for fifth place and Michael Schumacher was sixth in his first race back after ending a three-year retirement.
Sebastian Vettel was fourth for Red Bull, who finished second overall last year, as exhaust problems ended his hopes of victory.
Drivers' Championship (after one round):
1. Fernando Alonso (Spa) Ferrari 25 points
2. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 18
3. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren 15
4. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Red Bull 12
5. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes GP 10
6. Michael Schumacher (Ger) Mercedes GP 8
7. Jenson Button (GB) McLaren 6
8. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 4
9. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Ita) Force India 2
10. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Williams F1 1
1. Ferrari 43 points
2. McLaren 21
3. Mercedes GP 18
4. Red Bull 16
5. Force India 2
6. Williams F1 1