Skip to main content

Jodie Foster is suspect in battery against teen

By Alan Duke, CNN
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Police name actress in battery case
  • Foster's rep calls teen "a professional paparazzi"
  • Oscar-winning actress has not been charged

Los Angeles, California (CNN) -- A teenager whom Jodie Foster is suspected of assaulting last month was "a professional paparazzi" who was scaring the actress's children as they left a Los Angeles theater, Foster's representative said.

Los Angeles police named the Oscar-winning actress as a misdemeanor battery suspect in a May 29 incident at the Grove mall, although she has not been charged, according to a police spokeswoman.

The police report has not been released, but celebrity gossip site Radar Online published a copy that a police spokeswoman suggested may have been provided by the teen's father.

The report said the 17-year-old began taking photos of Foster as she walked from the mall to the valet parking area.

"SUSP (Foster) FOLLOWED VICT (the teenager), POKED HIM ON HIS CHEST, GRABBED VICT (the teenager) LEFT ARM CAUSING VISIBLE INJURY," said the report, which was based on the teen's complaint.

Jennifer Allen, who represents Foster, issued a statement Friday:

"The young man was most definitely a professional paparazzi. He had a large camera bag and a 1000 mm telephoto lens. He tailed Jodie and her young sons from the movie theater to valet parking. He crowded her and her children and took photos of them the whole time. She touched him on the elbow in an attempt to take him aside to talk to him and tell him to stop. He scared the kids."

Foster, 47, has two sons, ages 11 and 8.

She won best actress Oscars for "The Silence of the Lambs" and "The Accused." Foster was nominated for two others for "Taxi Driver" and "Nell."

CNN's Brittany Kaplan contributed to this report.